Sunday, October 15, 2006

Moths again





As the Autumn arrives, the number and variety of species diminishes, but there is still time for some surprises. Forget the drab Epirrita species, four of them, and even they don't know who they are, and we can only be sure if we examine their goolies. Forget those drab little brown jobs. Let's look at the goodies which can still find their way into our traps.
The Thorns are very pretty, and last night I caught a Feathered Thorn. Look at its antennae and you can see why it is called feathered.
Consider the Yellow-line Quaker. A modest little moth, but as sexy as they come.


Look at the Satellite, that white planet shape with a small satellite moon circulating round it. Perfect name for a perfect insect.
Look at the Green-brindled Crescent, such a complex plumage. If there is anything in metempsychosis, I want to come back as a GBC.
And now, feast your eyes on the Merveille du Jour. If ever a moth deserved its name, it is this one. My guru said today that I didn't deserve this moth after only eighteen months into mothing: he had to wait six years. Well, there you go.
If it wasn't for all the beautiful women in the world, I think I could be quite contented with moths like these.

1 comment:

Jake Allsop said...

Thank you, Angit. They are what we call "record shots", ie, just taken for the record, not meant to be "artistic". If moth in French is "papillon de nuit", I guess it's merveilleux, although there is something very feminine about this particular moth. In fact, this one was a female with an abdomen bulging with eggs. I hope she laid them in my garden!