Saturday, November 17, 2012

Chutzpah

Defined as "brazen effrontery". My favourite example concerns a young actor in Hollywood, who was having dinner with friends when he noticed the legendary producer, Sam Goldwyn, sitting at a table on the other side of the restaurant.
The young actor discreetly went across to the great man and said:" I know this is outrageous, sir, but I wonder if you could acknowledge me when you pass my table as you leave. It would so impress the people I am with."
Sam Goldwyn said "I admire your chutzpah, kid. Sure I'll do that for you. What's your name?"
And sure enough, as the producer passed the young actor's table, he slapped him on the back and said: "Oh hi, Charlie, good to see you again How're you doing?"
Charlie looked up and replied curtly: . "Piss off, Sam, can't you see I'm busy?"

No comments: