Monday, February 03, 2014

My love is like a red red row of squiggles

My third-age friend H - and I love her dearly - has decided to learn Mandarin Chinese, both spoken and written. She couldn't really tell me why. I think it's the Mount Everest Syndrome (MES): people climb it simply because it's there.
Fortunately, as a life-long sufferer from Fluffy Kidney  Syndrome (FKS), the root cause of inertia, I have managed to avoid the likes of MES. All the same, I couldn't resist taking a peek at the peak that H has decided to climb. I watched a specimen lesson on youtube all about the five-tone system. Get your tone wrong and you could call your mother a horse.
On then, to a demo of the writing system. Here is the character for "love" and how you write it:

Doesn't look much like love, does it?

No comments: