Friday, December 01, 2006

"Hi, Jake, how's the book going?"

"Hi, Jake, how's the book going?" (For those of you who don't know, I am contracted by Poyser, with a co-author, to write a monograph on the Eurasian Golden Oriole, Oriolus oriolus).
So: "Hi, Jake, how's the book going?"
That's like, "Hi, George, hi Tony, going good in Iraq is it? Right? Right!"
Having experienced seven pregnancies, in none of which was I the main protagonist - thought I'd better make that clear - I think I know a little of what gestation is like. The pain, the sleepless nights, the morning sickness, the sheer tedium and heaviness as the ETA approaches....
In my case, the first scream of agony occurred at the moment of conception, and it's been pain every since. I am talking about the BOOK. of course.
Ah, the BOOK. There are days when I think it's going great, and there are days when I am sober. But, no mind, you who know me: good buddies, stout yeomen and sundry proud high-busted beauties, there's a dance or two in the old dog yet. Toujours gai, Archie, wotthehell. I will get the bugger finished if it's the last thing I do.
At this rate, I suspect it WILL be the last thing I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake why don't you use a pushbike to travel locally or is Cambridge too far. Recently I was visiting a well-known DIY store and I noticed they had an adult trike for sale with a mini trailer for carrying essentials like beer and take away curries.Maybe this would destroy any street-cred you have. Or maybe you are too antiquated to pedal.

Jake Allsop said...

No bike. No. Well, maybe. Well, it's a good idea. In fact, it's a very good idea. Well, maybe not a VERY good idea. Well, it's ok, I guess. I don't know, though. It's a big decision. Yep, mybe not really. Nah, can't really see it. Glad I talked myself out of that one, Miss B!