Sunday, January 24, 2010

Exotic birds

My correspondent, Angit, sent me pictures of two birds and asked for identification. The first is a Golden Pheasant (above), an exotic bird that breeds sporadically in Britain in a couple of places (near Sandringham in Norfolk and Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour are the sites I know). Isn't he a handsome fellow? Of course, the female is drab, but she has good reason to be.
The second mystified me, so I asked my stalwart friend, Peter W, if he knew what it was. Which, of course, he did. It's a Formosan Blue Magpie (below), apparently the national bird, and the story of the photo is that the bird attacked a toy dog that had been put out by the photographer to provoke it. And that is all I know, or am every likely to know, about the Formosan Blue Magpie. But I will let you know if one turns up on my peanut feeder.

No comments: