Friday, November 04, 2011

istepne

Savour the word istepne. It is the Turkish for "spare tyre". Now I appreciate that, like the Hungarian legfek (airbrakes), this is a piece of knowledge that you will be hard pressed to find a use for. But, please hear me out.
There is a point when you are getting into a foreign language when you start to get a feel for words that seem "odd". For me, and I cannot tell you why, istepne didn't FEEL Turkish in origin, but that is as far as it went until (thank the Dear for serendipity), I was browsing in Chambers Dictionary t'other day and my eyes lit on the word stepney
________________________________________________________________________________
stepney /step'ni/ (old sl) n. a spare wheel (often fig); a mistress, esp that of a white slaver. [Said to be from the name of a street where the wheels were made].
________________________________________________________________________________

My cup runneth over.

No comments: