Tuesday, December 04, 2012

I promise, moreorless

The Scout Promise reads: "On my honour, I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to God and to the Queen, to help other people and to keep the Scout Law." There are variants to accommodate other faiths, so, for instance, Muslims say "Allah" for "God". In countries where the Queen is not head of state, the oath is changed to "...and to the country in which I am living".
Now, according to Sky News, there is a move afoot to accommodate atheists. In a spirit of helpfulness, I propose the Scout Promise be simplified so that it fits our modern age more exactly:
"On my honour, whatever that is, I promise, if it's not inconvenient, to do my best to do my duty, whatever that is, to nobody in particular and to keep the Scout Law as long as it doesn't interfere with my personal life. And if you give me grief, I'll say you touched me bum and then you'll be for it."

No comments: