Tuesday, March 26, 2013

En bref


Don't laugh, I have joined Twitter. I have a good reason to do so, and I promise I will not be posting any tweets or twits or whatever they're called. 
One thing I have immediately realised:- my mother tongue, my beloved mamaloshen, is not the language of the new generation. I suppose it is a generation in a hurry, because their Newspeak has dispensed with vowels almost entirely, or, as they might say "dspnsd w vwls lmst ntrly", And I use the verb "say" advisedly, because they not only write this way, they also SPEAK this way. No wonder I  need subtitles. And to think that a year ago, I was worried that I was going deaf!
There appears to be a middle generation between mine and the new lot, consisting mainly of birders who are equally in too much of a hurry to give the names of birds in full. A recent example from Twitter is this one: "Thurs Club brecks: targets missed am, 9 Stoneys 2gether good, Med, Caspo & 2 YLG".  What? Recently on a bird group, someone wrote about "Sarnies",  which by a process of deduction I - and some other readers - managed to decode as "Sandwich terns".
Well, there it is. I am not really complaining, just lamenting whatever it is that is causing people to abbreviate so much. But, in compensation, I am very glad that I am not going deaf, I just nd t gt usd 2 ppl tlkng n cnsnts.
PS My garden feeders are doing very well: every day now I get lots of goldies, greenies, treespugs, reedies and lesserpolls, and, of course stockies, woodies, blackies and robbos feeding underneath them. Still waiting for my first sisky or brambly to turn up, though.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

On Sunday last I finally put up a photo on my blog, of a siskin that has been hanging round our garden for a week or so. It's taken me that long to get a decent shot of it. There were three of them originally. We had three of them in our garden at much the same time last year. They were the first siskins I had ever seen in East Anglia.

Jake Allsop said...

I am ashamed to say that I didn't know you had a blog. Please give me a link to it.
East Anglia isn't really Siskin country, though I assume they are frequent in the Brecks and similar wooded habitats with coniferous trees.

Unknown said...

If you click on Mike and Ann at the top of my comment, you should get straight through to our blog. Failing that :- falconsuffolk.blogspot.co.uk- we are also Nea's parents.

Jake Allsop said...

What a lovely blog! You have a good eye for Suffolk's picturesquerie. And I love the family pics, they exude love.
I didn't know about your heart attack, Glad to know you're fully repaired, if a little short on energy (who isn't?!)