Friday, March 29, 2013

Slippage


This morning I watched a Blackbird gathering nesting material. Clearly he is unaware of the problem with the Jet Stream. Let me explain. Cassell's Italian dictionary contains the splendid word "bracalone", defined as "a careless untidy fellow whose trousers keep slipping down".
I am sure you can see where this is going.
The Blackbird doesn't know that this horrible cold weather we are enduring is a result of the Jet Stream, which like the bracalone's britches, has slipped down the hemisphere. We get normal weather when the JS is to the north of the British Isles, which it mostly is; but horrid weather when it it south of us, which it currently is.
Now, I wish that Blackbird all the best, but the way things are going, or rather not going, I don't think he'll be a dad any time soon; and I am sure I will have snow on my boots on my birthday.

No comments: