Friday, February 27, 2009

A day of projects

A day of projects. At 7 a m, I was already out on Haddenham Fen, shivering, to share in a BBC radio and TV coverage of an unusual event. Most farmers uncover "bog oaks" when they plough their land, maybe one or two per acre. But local farmer John Derby must have been stunned when an acre of his land yielded up twenty or more bog oaks, and some big ones at that.
In the afternoon, I was at Worlington Parish Church, just inside the Suffolk border, to help with the installation of Swift nest boxes in the church belfry.
Tomorrow, I shall be making a couple of indoor Barn Owl boxes, using some amazing ex-military chests that a local farmer gave me.
All this activity is good for me. It diverts me from my baser instincts, eg, vandalising telephone kiosks, scrawling graffiti on walls and molesting dwarves on their birthdays. Yes, a man should have a hobby, specially if he's an Old Scrote.

No comments: