Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday grump

It's Friday, we are snowbound again, so it's time for my weekly grump. But I promise it will be brief. Bacon sandwiches, a very British institution I imagine. I have one for breakfast about once a fortnight or less. An indulgence. And every time I make one - crispy unsmoked streaky bacon between two pieces of wholemeal bread - I remember the wozzick on the radio who gave his recipe for bacon sandwiches, which included the assertion "You MUST use white bread." If he had said "I prefer to use white bread", I wouldn't have had a problem. Where does he get the authority - the chutzpah? - to tell me I MUST use white bread? I hate white bread. By the way, the picture illustrates a wonderful variant, the BLT sandwich - bacon, lettuce and tomato.
While I am on, another culinary hate word for me is the word "just". Listen to the cookery pundits on TV and count the number of times they tell you "just add...", "just stir....", "just slice...". Are they trying to tell us how easy it is? Because, if it's that easy, why do we need these dweebs pontificating at us?
The exception to the previous paragraph is, of course, Nigella Lawson, who can just tell me anything she likes. It's not as if I am listening anyway.

No comments: