Saturday, February 14, 2009

Tired but happy

A sawn-off heron called a Little Egret (very similar to the American Snowy Egret) has been expanding its range northwards from continental Europe and has now reached my area. It is an elegant bird with long black legs and sexy yellow feet, always a treat to see.
In fact there have been 2-4 in Haddenham Fen for the last few months, seen and reported by assorted dog walkers and farm workers, but not seen by me or by my oppo Paul M. So, when Paul sent me a text message two days ago to say that he had finally seen one, ie, beating me to it, I sent the usual congratulatory message: "Well done, you bugger." The following day (yesterday), I saw TWO.
And today, I came upon a flock of 90 Whooper Swans (similar to the American Trumpeter Swan) grazing on a fen field. That's the largest flock ever recorded in the parish, so I feel justified in opening a bottle of the good stuff this evening. And sending Paul a terse text message.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello. We've had little egrets breeding in two places near us in South Suffolk for some years now (5 7 years, I'd guess) and very pretty little herons they are, too.
Regards, Mike.

Jake Allsop said...

I never tire of seeing them. The latest thrill is to see Great White Egret, of which there are 2 in the vicinity of the Ouse Washes at the moment. We are blessed.