Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The telesales monsters

The first call is usually around 4 in the afternoon. The next one two hours later. The first hint I have that THEY are at it again is the message on my phone display "Caller number withheld". So, I pick up the receiver, I hear a hubbub of voices, but I don't speak. There is a silence at the other end too, after which they put the phone down. The next call - same message on the phone display - is different. I hear a hubbub of voices in the background and the usual singsong female voice inquires "Mr Alllllsooppp?" Last evening, I was ready so I immediately went into frenetic mode:
"Oh my god, Alice! It's you! At last! Where have you been? I m not angry with you, but god, you gave us all a fright! Your partner has been tearing her hair out with worry. How could you?..."
By which time the other party has put the phone down. I know I can never win in this contest against the telesales monsters, but at least I can have a bit of fun sometimes.

No comments: