Tuesday, April 09, 2013

A hole in one


I hadn't appreciated that heather will grow successfully in our non-acidic fen soil. But it has to be the Calluna not the Erica genus. Caroline, my green-fingered gardener, planted a heather border this afternoon, and even before she had bedded in the last plant, a Bumblebee arrived and checked out the heather. I think the last sentence deserves an exclamation mark. The main reason for planting heather was because it is attractive to insects, particularly bees, which, as I am sure you know, are having a bad time these days because of pesticides and other foolish human activity. The bee came and went so quickly that I didn't get a chance to see its bum, but, never mind, it and I hope its mates will be back.
PS Once that flowering shrub and others yet to be planted have reached full size, they will hide my neighbour's oiltank. Please ignore it and look at the heather. Thanks.

No comments: