Thursday, July 06, 2006

Beam me up, Scottie!


The usual way to inspect Barn Owl nestboxes is to go up a ladder, but sometimes they are so high or inaccessible (eg across a drain) that you need to be teleported. What happens is the obliging farmer puts a sort of cage on the front of his teleporter, you climb in and he hoists you up on his hydraulic arm. I love it so much I don't really care what I find in the box: I just love the ride. Mostly my colleague Peter is the one to be teleported but I have my chances too, as, for instance, yestereve when I was hoisted to a Tawny Owl nestbox to retrieve a clutch of failed eggs (I AM licensed to do this). It is exhilarating, and I now have a special respect for all those denizens of the Starship Enterprise*** who couldn't wait to be beamed up and down, Scottie.
Better than escalators, believe me.

***I am an UrTrekkie, can't be doing with this second generation stuff, especially since Lieutenant Uhura's thighs are no longer part of the bridge.

No comments: