Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Good Old Boy

I truly believe that God is a good old boy, as we say out here on the Fens (Well, S/He's gender neutral, of course, but you know what I mean. And I am 70. so you have to make allowances). Only a Good Old Boy would have created all these amazing hawkmoths: Elephant, Lime and the stunning Hummingbird Hawkmoth. Look at them:










And now look at these wonderful creatures, which protect themselves from predation by pretending to be something else:

Buff Tip, looks like a birch twig:

Chinese Character, looks like a bird dropping:

And now, consider this: until last summer, I had no knowledge or experience whatsoever of moths. My thanks to my good mates Martin King, David Hopkins and Barbara York for getting me into moths. It's good to have a new outdoor hobby at this stage of the game, although I wish my eyes were better. Never mind, we work with the tools we have, blunt or sharp.
On Monday evening, I, along with Dick Newell, had a meeting with a local Parish Church Council to persuade them to let us put up Swift nestboxes behind the louvres of their church tower. I think we managed to persuade them without playing the God card. What I mean is this: how can they sing "All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small" and then deny the creatures hospitality? I was all prepared to belt out a chorus of "All things bright" but it wasn't necessary. Just as well as I can only do it as a 12-bar blues using George Melly gravel. Mind you, I bet God wouldn't mind: He's a Good Old Boy.
Postscript: for those of you wedded to Evolution, I am cool about that: I don't care how we got here, I am just glad we got here.

No comments: