Monday, October 02, 2006

Curried favours

When you get to a certain age, and especially if you live alone, the most important thing in your life is to have a reason to get up in the morning. I still have a few reasons, thank goodness. And one of them is the joy I get from making and eating Indian curries.
You may think, as I once did, that there are only three kinds of curry: [1] mild, [2] hot. [3] put-a-toilet-roll-in-the fridge-for-next-morning.
In fact there are so many variations and subtleties that I now have enough reasons to get up in the morning to last me till I am a hundred and fifty. Here are a few of them: balti, bhuna
biryani, dhansak, dopiaza, jalfrezi, korai, korma, Madras, Moghlai, pasanda, pasia, rogan josh, saag, tikka masala and vindaloo.
Thank you, India, you have done a great service to one palely loitering Brit.
PS Sorry about the British Raj and all that: it was before my time.

1 comment:

Jake Allsop said...

"reasons for getting up in the morning" is my way of listing how lucky I am that there are so many good things in my life. "Count your blessings" is an old saying, but worth remembering - and worth doing from time to time, particularly when things go wrong for us.