Saturday, August 04, 2007

Goodbye, Dolly Who?

I have, as I mentioned before, an impressive repertoire of Old Tyme Music Hall songs in my noddle, inherited from the days when my mother played them on the piano while my father sang them and I hovered between ecstasy and death as he threw me enthusiastically into the air during the crescendos. Who can forget "On Mother Kelly's Doorstep", "In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree", "I'll Be Your Sweetheart", "Hold Your Hand Out, You Naughty Boy" and the rest? Who can forget them indeed?
The answer is: I can. That is to say, the music is still there, but there are more lines containing the words "de da de de da dee dee" than there used to be. I think it's time I invested in a new cerebral CPU and a few more gigs of cerebral RAM.
Either that or I'm stuck with the likes of "Goodbye Dolly, I must leave you, tho it da de da my heart to go".

No comments: