Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Magic Jewish Mushrooms

Tonight, the Conservation Society talk was about fungi. Sorry you missed it. A most entertaining speaker, who introduced us to edible mushrooms, dangerous mushrooms, pretty and harmless mushrooms. And psychedelic mushrooms. He told us that it is not only a criminal offence to pick or possess these "magic" mushrooms. but that a landowner who has them growing on his property is liable to prosecution too. Is it just my paranoia, or has the world gone totally mad?
Another touch to invoke my grump: there is a fungus which has always been known popularly as "Jew's Ear" (apparently because it grows on a species of tree on which Judas is said to have been hanged). The speaker mentioned its vernacular name in a whisper but said that he was no longer "allowed" to use that name. Is it just my paranoia, or has the world gone totally mad?
Anyway, be that is it may, my ambition now is to pick a handful of magic mushrooms, dry and crush them to make an infusion and beg my Jewish friends to come round and share the experience. I hope they are prepared to lend an ear to my plea.

No comments: