Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Cap'n art thou sleeping thar below?"

As we cruise unheeding through this life, we wonder sometimes who is in charge. Is there a captain at the helm, or is he really "sleeping thar below"? I only ask this teleological question because my central heating boiler has broken down. It could be due to rust or age - two conditions that determine how I personally function these days - but it could be something more sinister, yet one more piece of circumstantial evidence that the Good Lord has given us up as a lost cause, and is working on something much less ambitious, such as a bacterium that can thrive in the extreme conditions of the Planet Saturn, and still observe the Sabbath.
I am not a demanding sort of child-of-God, I would settle for a new starter box in my Camray Wall-mounted Boiler. Really. It's just COLD that I can't cope with. Come on, God, be a good sport, switch it on again, and I promise to do more to the collection box in church next Sunday than flip the underside of it with my thumb. A good blast of heat has got to be worth a bob or two. It's only March, for God's sake. Well, for my sake, actually.

No comments: