Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring is sprung, the grass is riz

Further indications that Spring has arrived. My daffodils, grape hyacinths and white periwinkles are in flower in every corner of the garden; they have gone from dormant to riotous in a couple of days. In my pond, frogs have suddenly appeared. Through my scope, I watched three pairs "conjoined", if I may put it delicately, and several unattached frogs, males I suppose, trying to mount whatever seems mountable. Finally - not that I am particularly happy about this harbinger of work to come - my neighbour opposite, Alan, gave his lawn the first cut of the year yesterday afternoon.
You wanted to know about the moths, right? Right. About thirty of five species, all fairly uninteresting:- Common Quaker, Red Chestnut, Hebrew Character, Clouded Drab and one rather faded Dotted Border. At least their names are pretty. And now, if you will excuse me, I am going out into the Spring sunshine to cut up a military box...

No comments: