Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday, blessed Sunday

Wow, today was the first day of Spring, at least in my backyard: hedge-to-hedge sunshine and not a cloud in sight (till late afternooon). The first Brimstone Butterfly of the year appeared, a male of course, showing off, the way males do. And a Small Tortoiseshell, just emerged from hibernation - I know that because it was still "rev-ving up", pumping blood back into its wingveins before taking flight. OK, no big deal, just two insects, but they are enough for me. Even my pacemaker skipped a beat.
And this is not the only reason my cup runneth over. I have now made six Barn Owl boxes from three military boxes, and four already have homes, with a fifth on a promise. Today I collected the last of the military boxes and, bless his cotton socks, the farmer promised me a sheet of 4' x 8' ply to make the fronts.
Damn, I am on such a high I have even set my mothtraps. Tomorrow at dawn, that's when we get the reality check.
Envoi: no Redpolls today, but my first Siskin of the year. Gives you a tremendous sense of something or other.

No comments: