Saturday, June 16, 2007

A bit of a beef

Opposite is a T-bone steak. What I cooked tonight looked nothing like this.

The evening meal here is a family event. Nobody starts eating until everyone is seated and grace has been said. Conversation is supposed to be about what we all did during that day, and there are rules about burping, farting, fighting, eating without benefit of cutlery, putting feet on the table, and so on. All of this is admirable and I am proud to be part of it. But...
...the food is children's food, as is right and proper. And there is a limit to how excited an old carnivore like me can be about mashed potatoes and sweetcorn with chicken dinosaur nuggets; or tacos, which are the remains of traffic accidents hidden skilfully in rolls of marinated cardboard. And baby carrots and celery sticks and bullet-proof raisins, healthy as they may be.
I mean no disrespect to Brunhinha, our nanny and amazing provider, but the craving comes on me very easily. So, tonight, with everyone elsewhere, I decided to go to Gala and buy, along with a baking potato and some saladry, a serious BEEF STEAK.
And this, mes potes, is where the boggle entered my mind as I checked out the meat counter. Cuts of meat have different names in different cultures, and for all I know, they may be different cuts anyway. I know from fillet, rump and sirloin, but what do I know about T-Bone, New York and Dodge Rubber Tire Retreads, or whatever the choices were?
Anyway, I bought and cooked some kind of a beefsteak. And ate most of it, not all of it properly masticated. As a lifelong chronic masticator, I felt rather unsatisfied that I had not brought each mouthful to a proper climax, but I did my best, honest I did.
All I can say is that the baked potato and the salad were faultless, but the steak was approximate.
So now, I'm even beginning to look forward to Monday evening's dinner of dinosaur chicken nuggets, raw broccoli and cold string beans. At least I will have the joy of my grandchildren round me, burping, farting, fighting, eating without benefit of cutlery, putting their feet on the table, and so on ...

No comments: