Saturday, June 02, 2007

Mrs Trellis and the English

As always, Mrs Trellis is quick to put pen to paper to share her pithy withdom.
Dear Jay Leno,
she writes, I follow your television programmes with great interest, and find you very intelligent for an American, and quite presentable really except for your chin. So, please forgive me if I am a little critical of your recent observations on "rare migrants from the east". Much as I mistrust English people, who are definitely to the east of us here in Wales, I would never call them vagrants, although, to be fair, they are mostly very scruffily dressed. And they are in no way "rare" - they come to Wales in their thousands, buying up our farms and cottages, cluttering our lakes with their noisy boats and wearing out our mountains with their enormous hiking boots.
But I would not like you to think I am anti-English. It's just that there are too many of them. I suppose you Americans have the same problem with buffaloes. Or is it Apaches? I can never remember which you eat and which you kill.
By the way, I liked your picture of the Hooded Wobbler: it reminded me so much of Mr Trellis, my late husband, who frequently wore a primrose yellow waistcoat (what I believe you people mistakenly call a vest) and a black skull cap, not that he was Jewish, except for being cut, which was not his fault, just a misunderstanding.
Yours
Blodwen Trellis, Mrs, Widow, Retired

No comments: