Thursday, June 07, 2007

Call this "service"?


Many establishments like hotels and restaurants have a quality control system whereby they pay people to visit them incognito, sample a whole range of services, and then report back. Only once was I lucky enough to have this role. My ex-secretary from my Zurich days later became the Wine and Victuals Manager of a posh London hotel, and asked me if I would like to be a covert inspector. Great! I was on my own, but apart from that, I had a great time, working my way through all the hotel services, ordering difficult drinks at the bar, being fussy about my food in the restaurant, and so on. Mind you, I did not find it easy to be a nuisance on purpose; my forte is being a nuisance by accident.
Anyway, Cindy, let us call her that, was pleased with my performance and my report, refunded all my expenses, kissed me on the cheek, and I went away almost happy. Almost, because, although I had tested just about every service offered by the hotel, I had not been able to justify ordering a baby cot and a pack of diapers at 3 a m; I thought that might have aroused suspicion.
Anyone in the hotel or restaurant trade reading this: I am available at very short notice and I work cheap.

No comments: