Saturday, June 23, 2007

Cracked it!

[The following is unsuitable for vegetarians and others of a nervous disposition]

Another of those evenings when everyone is somewhere else: Bruninha in Encinitas visiting a friend, the munchkins in El Cajon destroying Daddy's furniture, and Sarah doing whatever will bring her joy and relaxation on a Friday night.
So, methoughts, how about another crack at breaking the beefsteak challenge? This time, I went to Henry's, the sort of Waitrose-style store where you never feel quite properly dressed.
As usual, there was a variety of cuts with impenetrable names. What is a London Steak or a New York Cut, for instance? There might have been a Texas Hernia and a Louisiana Cartilege Steak too, but finally I lit upon a "Filet Mignon" section containing steaks so expensive that I knew I Was In The Right Place.
The steak I bought is now in the digestive state, and I know it is as happy as I am that the two of us found harmony together. What I mean is, it was excellent: tasty, succulent and a willing companion to the Mondavi red that I bathed it in.
Just one reservation: I bought it, caressed it, prepared it, cooked it and ate it, but I couldn't bring myself to tell it is was "mignon". I guess it's a guy thing: I just don't have the kind of Hillcrest soprano voice for words like that. Baritonally, though, I'd say it was "the dog's b..........ks"

No comments: