Thursday, March 20, 2008

An offer you can't refuse

So, there I was, installed as the Principal of a hybrid academic establishment which became registered as King's College of Further Education. You gotta admit, that has a certain ring to it.
And one day, I received an enquiry about putting on a course for a group of Libyans to prepare them for entrance to Polytechnic HND courses.
So, I picked up the phone and spoke to the author of the query. And we clicked. And my school got the job.
And, later, the man who phoned me - I will call him Dr L - invited me to a meeting in London with the Libyan principals, after which he said "One day, I will make you an offer you can't refuse." Talk about the Godfather!
But he did, and I accepted, and that was the beginning of my great adventure into the world of industry, engineering, management training and seat-of-the-pants consultancy.
It was hectic, crazy, mind-numbing, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Why? Because it opened my eyes to a world beyond the cosy confines of Academia. And it was very well paid too.
Later I went back to Academia, but I was no longer the same person.
Call it perspective.
Thank you, Dr L, you were a bad old bugger, but you did a lot for me - and for a lot of other people too.
Rest in peace.

No comments: