Wednesday, March 19, 2008

To be or entropy, that is the question

Entropy, according to the Wikepedia entry, is "a measure of the unavailability of a system’s energy to do work. It is a measure of the randomness of molecules in a system and is central to the second law of thermodynamics and the combined law of thermodynamics, which deal with physical processes and whether they occur spontaneously. Spontaneous changes, in isolated systems, occur with an increase in entropy. "

Well, f............ that. Entropy for me is the tendency for everything to return to its constituent parts, ie, to rot.
My garden sheds are doing it.
My bathroom is definitely into serious entropy.
Most of my sweaters are in active return to the sheep they came from.
Even my furniture is beginning to pine for its forest origins, as bits fall away apparently without cause.
What is worse, my body has picked up on this fun process, and is going entropic - or whatever the expression is - at an increasing rate.
It is worrying to a person, and small consolation that the same thing seems to be happening to Gordon Brown and his Government.

No comments: