Friday, April 04, 2008

Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt.....

Well, standing around soliloquising isn't going to do it.
What I need is a diet which is not based on calorie counting.
I know anguish (angoscia, angustia) is a sure way of losing weight, but the trouble is I have nothing to be anguished about right now:
- my publisher has become reasonable
- the weather is improving
- my royalty cheques have been very respectable lately
- lovely women keep tapping on my front door (mostly collecting for charity, it's true, but I am not a proud man)
- my periwinkle is in prime condition.
I thought of having an anguished go at global warming, but I don't believe in it. Not deep down I don't.
Iran's uranium enrichment programme? Who're they going to bomb without bringing a whole rain of sh... back on themselves?
Mugabe? He's practically shagged out now anyway. Literally, from what I hear.
The US Presidential elections? Who gives a flying fandango?
No, there's really no cause for anguish, it seems.
So, calorie counting it is, then.
Goodbye potatoes, hello waistline.

2 comments:

mscriver said...

Jake, a little over a year or so ago I lost fifty pounds without much problem at all. One of the strategies was to eat what the package said was a serving -- though it's hard to eat a half-teaspoon of some things.

Another helpful strategy is using the "glycemic index" which is much more popular in Australia than other places. High glycemic index foods are the ones that make your blood glucose shoot up straightaway. Low glycemic foods take their time to digest and aren't that full of glucose anyway. If you google, you'll find lists.

It's SO much easier for a man to lose weight. One guy here in town just made a list of everything he ate, looked up the calorie value of each one, crossed out the five with the highest values and didn't eat them anymore. Fifty pounds fell off.

My strategy was no white sugar, no white flour, no corn syrup or fructose, and as little processed food as humanly possible.

My only problem is that most of the weight seems to have come off inside the front of my blouse. At least my tractor didn't lose weight.

Prairie Mary

Jake Allsop said...

Thank you for this, Mary. I have noticed, though, that I want to lose my belly, but all that happens is my arms and face go thin and people say "Are you ill?" And ladies, I understand, want to get it off their hips, and all that happens is they lose their nice front bits.
Thank god you and I are young and beautiful and rich and successful and have no need to diet (It says here on this piece of paper).