Thursday, April 03, 2008

Stewed steak it is, then

The following note is for carnivores on bachelor status only.

My old mum, bless her, widowed many a long year, moved into sheltered accommodation and continued to look after herself. Talk about independent: Lancashire women are formidable, even when they are smiling at you.
Anyway, when cooking became too much of a chore (mainly because of her failing eyesight), she took short cuts, one of which was to buy tins of stewed steak. I didn't say anything, but I was, well, appalled would not be too strong a word.
Now that I am approaching my mother's status (I am on my own, with failing faculties but determined to stay independent) - I tried a tin of stewed steak from Tesco's.
Oh the guilt! Oh the shame!
It was quite delicious.
Really.
And then, the other night, I saw Delia Smith on one of her cookery programmes talking about "cheating at cookery", and recommending tinned stewed steak as a short cut. Bless the woman! She may not have Nigella's bosom, but she's all-round BIG as far as I am concerned.

No comments: