Friday, May 18, 2007

Four reasons to be happy

Right, sit up straight. I am going to give you four reasons to be happy.
1
A man called Alexander McCall Smith has written a series of books about the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It is set in Botswana, and the proprietor, Mma Precious Ramotswe, is someone you need to allow into your life. Get reading. It will cleanse your soul and improve your karma. It is the best stuff I have read in years.
2
The South Park Bar and Grill is only a few blocks from here, and they have live music Thursday-Sunday. Tonight, the owner, John Kopecky, played jazz guitar divinely, everything from Carlos A. Jobim to Johann S. Bach. with diversions via F. Chopin, S.Wonder and C. Porter. Get over there, chew on a steak and enjoy the music. How did I manage to neglect jazz for all this time. Shame on me!
3
A Black Phoebe visits the backyard regularly. It is a flycatcher and is the equivalent of the British robin in its familiarity. There are many flycatchers here, including the Tyrannus Kingbirds and the impossible-to-separate Empidonax, so it is a great relief to have an easy -peasy Phoebe about the place. See the pic.
4
You want a FOURTH reason to be happy? Aren't three enough? OK, excellent wine here costs the equivalent of two pounds a bottle. Can't be bad.

Tomorrow I am going with my lovely friend V to a banquet, the annual wingding of the local chapter of the Audubon Society. Just think: nobody will ask me about Swifts, Barn Owls or Orioles. But, I will tell them anyway: me and my light don't do bushels.

No comments: