Friday, May 25, 2007

How old??

The local foodstore, Gala, about four blocks from here, is staffed by Mexicans. This evening, the girl at the checkout asked me "How many years you have?" I told her seventy. Then she said "Every time I look at you, I think my grandfather." Pause, then: "He is old like you." Pause, then: "But you look..." followed by a gesture suggesting she thought me to be in pretty good shape. I was so grateful for this.
My grandson Harry regularly pulls my ears and tells me the lobes are SOOOOO big, and then pulls at my throat and tells me my skin is SOOOOOO loose.
What the Mexican checkout girl and my grandson don't realise is that I am still 21 underneath. Mind you, my knees don't agree: pass the glucosamine gel, somebody.
PS Do remember, fans, that my birthday is coming up shortly on June 5. Whatever you send, I want you to know it's not the thought, it's the present that counts. :-)

No comments: