Monday, May 14, 2007

Hummers

Another stunning sight in the backyard here in San Diego is the constant to-ing and fro-ing of the resident hummingbird, Anna's Hummingbird. It seems we have a pair thinking about nesting in the bougainvillea - and who can blame them?
As soon as I can get to the Birdwatcher's Shop in Julian, which I will do next week, I will set up a couple of hummingbird feeders. Who knows, we might attract the other two summer regulars, Costa's and Black-chinned?
For other species, I would need to make a trip to SE Arizona, where a family called Patton have set up a mega feeding station for hummers. It is where every birder goes to get their annual ticks - a bit like visiting Lakenheath to tick off your annual Golden Oriole or Weeting Heath for Stone Curlew. But, you know me, I usually wait for the birds to visit me. Lazy, or what?!

No comments: