Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Noble cause

Today, everyone, put your hands together for the............wait for it!.........the one and only............the one you have been waiting for........the............need I say more?! .................... ta-raaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!..................
WHITE-SPOTTED PINION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, well, that fell a bit flat, didn't it? Pity really, because it is a very smart moth and rare-ish now since the decimation of elms (its food plant) by Dutch elm disease. I love how we blame everything on someone else: French leave, Dutch courage, German measles. Still, it's reciprocated: "filer a l'anglaise" (play truant/hookey), le vice anglais (no translation required), perfidious Albion....
Today I attended a workshop on the White-spotted Pinion (Cosmia diffinis), how to identify it, how to identify its preferred species of elm, how to find the larvae, and why it is good to do all these things.
You know me, always ready to rally to the cause, so if you see me at the end of May on my knees, arse in the air, peering into the undergrowth, think only that I am on a just mission in pursuit of a noble cause. Or drunk.

No comments: