Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Garden in May, north border

This is the north border of my garden in mid-May. Starting from the shed, the first shrubs are an ornamental Hawthorn with pretty red and white blossoms and behind it a Pittosporum, with succulent dark-green leaves. Pittosporum is used in wreaths to provide the greenery. Moving further down the border, there is a Buddleia, globosa, which has intense orange globes when it flowers in May. Next to the bird bath is a Box, which I try to keep trimmed into a spherical shape. Box is a favourite with topiarists. Behind the Box is a Flame Tree, the leaf colour is an intense almost luminous burgundy and outrageously showy. Even more showy is the next shrub, the Ceanothus, or, as I prefer to call it, Californian Lilac. Beyond that again, though scarcely visible, there is a sprawling Hebe, and behind it a Euonymus species which I like to call Spindleberry. The Spindleberry comes into its own in late summer and early autumn when the amazing pink fruits form.
So now you know why I sit on my patio whenever the weather permits and gaze at the north border of my fenland garden.

No comments: