Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A nice cup of tea


This song was very popular during the war:

I like a nice cup of tea in the morning
To start the day, you see.
And at half past eleven
My idea of heaven

Is a nice cup of tea.

I like a nice cup of tea with my dinner
And a nice cup of tea with my tea.

And before I go to bed

There's a lot to be said
For a
nice cup of tea.

Why I started singing it in my kitchen a few minutes ago, I have no idea. Mind you, I was making my first cup of tea of the day. To start the day, you see.

Envoi
When people of my generation refer to "the war", we mean the 1939-1945 war, when the two great comforts were:
One, a cup of tea (with milk and sugar, no messing, and plain Indian tea, not those fancy perfumed abominations like Earl Bloody Grey)
Two, a plate of fish and chips (or, as often as not, eaten straight from the newspaper they were wrapped in).
A further bit of social history is contained in the song: ordinary working people used to call the midday meal "dinner" rather than "lunch" (in rural areas, they still do), while the meal called "tea" is not the Bertie Wooster kind of posh afternoon tea served in dainty china, but a substantial meal - fish and chips would be typical.
Time to get back to the kitchen for the second nice cup of tea of the day.

No comments: