Saturday, September 06, 2008

Tae see oursels as ithers see us.

Oh wud some pow'r the giftie gie us
Tae see oursels as ithers see us.

Some while ago, an old friend visited me together with his new French wife, Monique. After a time in my hitchen, where I was preparing a meal for my guests, Monique said "Mais, Jake, vraiment tu aimes les bibelots!"
Until that moment, I was quite unaware of my fondness for "bibelots" - toys - but she was right. On my breadbin, Rupert Bear figurines and a mini Teddy Bear clutching a big red heart, on the mantelshelf in my sitting room, a Paddington Bear, in my bathroom, a whole series of miniatures, including a Good Soldier Schweik and a woolly sheep.
And to cap it all, my boiled egg set consisted of Peter Rabbit plate and saucer and eggcup (apparently this makes me "middle-cless" according to one authority).
So, Monique was right "j'aime les bibelots".
As to why, I neither know nor care. All the bibelots in my possession have a history, and that is my history and the history of the people I have lovcd.
So there.

No comments: