Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Down with semantics!

It's a shame, I am sure you will agree, that words are always imprisoned by their meanings. There are so many lovely words that one just doesn't get to use often enough, just because somebody somewhere defined them so narrowly. Take "fortuitous", for instance. I don't think I have ever used that word. But I am going to liberate it! Here goes:
"I am feeling really fortuitous today: must be the Indian summer we're having."
"Does my bum look fortuitous in this?"

"Come on, be fortuitous, give us a kiss!"

It's fun. And I have a lot more words on my hit list!
OK, OK, I am being silly again. The reason for this silliness is that I am in the final stages (death throes?) of revising THE BOOK, and I needed to take a break for a coffee and a scream.
Now, that's what I call fortuitous.
Darling.

No comments: