Sunday, September 02, 2007

Mrs T gets mildly political

Our indomitable North Walian correspondent leaps in once more where angels fear to tread:

Dear Frau Merkel, she writes, I am not one of those who goes on a rant about the bloody Germans, etc. We won fair and square, and that should be the end of it.
But I do have a problem with your language, not that I know much about it, except that it seems to consist of capital letters, long words and people clearing their throats. A bit like Welsh, really, except that Welsh sings better.
I asked my neighbour what Weltanschauung means, she being something of a polygon (the result of a lot of hankypanky with foreign POWs during the war). And she said it meant Global Warming, which you might like to confirm, it seeming very unlikely to me.
May I take this opportunity to wish you every success as German Chancellor, or whatever your title is. I do admire you, with you being so plain and dowdy and all.
If you are ever in North Wales, do call by and we can listen to Marlene Dietrich singing "Lili of the Lampost" together. I reckon it was songs like that helped us win the war.
Yours regrettably
Blodwen Trellis, Mrs, Widow, undaunted

No comments: