Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Monk's Wood


Tomorrow I accompany my colleague PM to deliver a dead common buzzard to the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology at Monk's Wood, about a 40-minute drive from here. By the way, the buzzard is not a buzzard which is "dead common"; it is a common buzzard which is dead. Just thought I ought to clarify that point.
Monk's Wood also has a nature reserve (see picture above), so we will undoubtedly take a stroll round it in order to fail to hear or see some really tasty woodland species like Marsh Tit, Nuthatch and Treecreeper. And, if we try REALLY hard, we should also fail to hear or see Lesser-spotted Woodpecker. You know me, I love a day out exploring the wonders of Nature.
Envoi
CEH Monk's Wood does a fantastic job researching important aspects of wildlife in Britain. Guess what: the Government are shutting it down as part of a cost-saving drive. Personally, I think we would be better off shutting the Government down.

No comments: