Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Old Scrote's Funny Finger

I had a consultation today at Hinchinbrooke Hospital with Mr Southgate, the orthopaedic surgeon who did the operation for Duypitren's Contracture on my right hand some years back. After discussing the pros and cons of operating right away on my left hand, and especially bearing in mind the increased risks attendant on the fact that I have a pacemaker, we agreed to a further review in six months' time, with the proviso that if the degeneration accelerates - which is very possible - we will bring forward the date for an operation.
So, assuming the condition doesn't get more rapidly worse, my next visit to the hospital will be on 5 June. I pointed out to the Appointments Secretary that 5 June was my birthday, and she, sweet lady, said, "Oh, shall I make it for 6 June then?"
"Nah," says the Old Scrote, "Let's make it the fifth and I'll bring a cake."
And, you know me, that is exactly what I will do.

Envoi
Every visit to hospital reminds me of an incontrovertible fact: even the fattest, least shapely legs look good in black stockings. That's one of many reasons why all men love nurses.

No comments: