Monday, December 03, 2007

Oh no, not another scare!

The front page of today's Times newspaper carried a really scary article about wicked hacker websites that are offering people's bank and credit card details, free at first and then for a fee. Everything: name of accounts, pin numbers, names and addresses, the lot. Even the police are saying they have never known anything as serious as this.
What to do? I already have firewalls, an anti-nasties program, I am hyper cautious about opening any email that isn't from someone I know, and I NEVER open files with extensions like .exe, .dat, .pif, or even .zip or .mim if it isn't from a source I know and trust. And, of course, I am now an avid shredder of personal documents.
So, all I could think of was to change my passwords and pin numbers.
Among my least attractive scenarios is the day when the World Wide Web crashes. Talk about a dependency issue.....

No comments: