Sunday, November 11, 2007

Could you spell that, please?

Thank you all for worrying about me. I do appreciate it. Any fuss is welcome at my stage of the game. Dupuytren's Contracture is what I have got. For the second time. Compared to what some people are currently going through, Dupuytren's Contracture, despite its awesome name, is trivial, ie, not life-threatening. Mainly it prevents me from playing serious chords with my left hand. Which some people would regard as a good thing. It can, however, disconcert strangers who assume that I am making some kind of dismissive digital gesture, as you might say.
Anyway, I am off to see Mr Southgate at Hinchinbrooke Hospital on December 6 so that he can decide whether it is once again time to operate, attack the gristly bits in the palm of my hand and put me in a sling for a week or so.
Baron Dupuytren, after whom the condition is named, thought it was caused by years of gripping the reins of his horses. Whatever I may have been gripping over the years, it is, apparently, not the cause. Any more than hairy palms or failing eyesight....
In fact, nobody knows the cause.
But, as I say, thanks for worrying about me. I will try to make the most of this indisposition.

1 comment:

What Art Did He Make Today said...

I just read your blog on Dupuytren's Contracture and thought you might be interested in knowing about the latest possibility for help. There is clinical studies going on at UCLA. They are just starting third stage clinical studies (I am a guinea-pig in the experimental trials that just started that is showing good relief from the problem and it will probably be about two years before the product hits the market.) It is something I have been following for the last couple of years. I have chosen not to have any operations on my hands. I have four fingers and both thumbs with the disease and they don’t function very well. As my doctor says” they aren’t the Guinness Book of Records hands but they sure are close. (for photos of my hands you can see them on my blog page; http://www.whatartdidhemaketoday.com/2007/10/dupuytrens-contracture-hand-art.html