Saturday, November 03, 2007

I'll save the planet, starting tomorrow

I am racked with guilt. Cardboard, paper, bottles, plastic, alicans - I recycle them all, every last jot and tittle (or should that be tit and jottle? I like the idea of tit and jottle, not that I ever fondled a jottle).
I am not so good with composting vegetable matter, though, mainly because I don't know how to do it. I just let it fester for a while then set fire to it.
No, the reason I am racked with guilt is because of fish. I am depleting the world's oceans. Kippers, mackerel, cod, haddock, tuna - you name it, I am eating it. But, of course, no longer with pleasure because every mouthful is accompanied by a realisation that one more mouthful and some poor piscine bugger could well go extinct.
The reason I am eating so much fish is that the health gestapo tell me it's good for my heart. Yeah, sure. What about the angst that I feel? I could be eating my way to an early grave, never mind the bones sticking in my teeth and down my throat.
Mind you, it's not all bad news. My fishy habits generate an awful lot of cardboard, plastic and little tin cans. I might still save the planet, albeit a fishless one.

1 comment:

Nea said...

You could eat farmed salmon and ease your mind.