Thursday, November 01, 2007

Grapes

Thanks to high pressure sitting over the east of England, we are enjoying a late Indian summer, clear blue skies, warm enough during the day, colder at night.
For me, though, the glorious part about autumn in my garden are the viburnum shrubs with their masses of red berries, the amazing smoky red-auburn tints of the leaves of the Smoke Tree, and - my favourite of all - the clusters of grapes nestling among red leaves shot through with green veining.
No, I don't eat them. I leave them for the Blackbirds, thrushes and various insects, and that in itself gives me a visual treat. The grapevine grows along the back of my house and therefore over the back door and kitchen window, and it's a joy to see Blackbirds tumbling out of the vine as they struggle to cling on while snaffling the grapes.

1 comment:

Vagabond said...

Dear Old Scrote

I enjoy your missives a good deal but feel you are taking a risk revealing that your Lambretta Li125 started climate change. The Ministry of Certain Things could well take an interest and you may have to buy quite a few Carbon Credits to address the folly of your youth. I fear a plea of "I was only young your Honour and had no idea of the change of events I was setting off" may not cut it these days when a scapegoat is needed. Keep up the good work.

Vagabond