Saturday, November 24, 2007

Play that thing!

I have mislaid a CD-Rom which I am anxious to lend to my friend D. Having failed to find it in all the obvious places - you know, breadbin, freezer, knicker drawer - I riffled through my CD collection, which I hadn't looked at in ages. And it was then I rediscovered my appalling musical tastes: wall-to-wall jazz, with a smattering of baroque, classical guitar, seasoned with some humorous stuff (Lehrer, Jake Thackray, Bob Newhart), and one mindblasting compilation of the Grateful Dead. Dated, or what?!
Anyway, among this heap of detritus of my yesteryear, I selected a Dixieland group called - no, of course, you have never heard of it - Roy Pellett and his Dixieland Band. I regularly used to visit the Casa Bar in the Niederdorfstrasse in Zurich to listen to them when I was living there, 1974-75. Dixie is SO outrageously life-affirming. If you don't tap your foot, get to the nearest psychotherapist without delay. Assuming, of course, that you are not already dead.
Who said nostalgia isn't what it used to be?

No comments: