Saturday, November 17, 2007

It's that time of year.

Yesterday I went to Hindolveston to buy a Robinson Trap, which is to mothtraps what the BMW is to motoring, only without the arrogance. It is a superior trap, expensive, but wotthehell, Archy, mostly because it retains its catch, whereas other traps fail to hold more than a portion (Moths, especially geometers, are Great Escapers). Of course, there's no point in setting the BMW trap until maybe next March, but I needed to reassure myself that my SKI plan (spending the kids' inheritance) was still on track.
Today, I knocked up two Barn Owl nestboxes, with assistance from my best mate, Clare, whose speciality now is telling me I am doing it wrong. That's ok, it makes her feel good that she can bully an adult, and it is good for me to be reminded of my imperfections. Anyway, how was I to know that half the screws would miss the battens? Maybe if I had measured more carefully.....
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I am going to practise lethargy. Thank god there are still some things I can do well.

No comments: