Saturday, November 03, 2007

Physics is the opium of the misfits

Physics was never my strong point at school. About the only thing I moreorless understood was the Refraction of Light, because my pencil appeared to bend when I popped it into a beaker of water. Mu, the teacher called it, and there was a formula to calculate mu, one of the many legacies from my grammar school days of which I have never had further need.
Any road up, in my mature years, I pointed out to those who understand these things that gravity is getting stronger, ie, things fall to the ground more than they used to. Of course I got no response from the world's physicists, perhaps because they have all buggered off into a parallel universe where the booze is cheaper.
And now, I have another observation to offer any physicists who have not yet joined the PU brain drain, viz: Why is it that the moment you take the cork out of a wine bottle, the wine disappears?
It can't be evaporation, and surely not teleportation, but I tell you, my beloveds, I am becoming unnerved by the way the wine disappears from the bottle before I have had a chance to pour more than 3-4 glasses from it.
Eureka shmeureka, it's not global warming that bothers me, it's the way the Laws of Physics are falling apart before my very eyes, especially Australian reds.

No comments: