Monday, January 28, 2008

Birds on my nuts? If only!

The weekend just gone was the weekend of the great RSPB Garden Birdwatch. More than a million people participate, watching their garden birds for an hour and recording maximum numbers. I thought: I should be a part of this great British endeavour. On Saturday morning, I looked out and there were slathers of birds everywhere: blue tits, great tits, goldfinches, greenfinches, robins, dunnocks, longtailed tits, great spotted woodpecker, green woodpecker, etc. Despite the fact that most of the feeders were empty!
So, methought, I will fill the feeders to the brim and do my count on Sunday morning. And yes - I hate how you guys are always ahead of me - on Sunday, zilch. One robin after fifteen minutes. Is it any wonder I plunge so easily into deep melancholy?
This morning, Monday, as I was preparing my usual breakfast of paracetamol on toast with a side of bicarb of soda, I looked out and the feeders were festooned again, positively INFESTED with birds.
What am I doing wrong? Whatever it is, it's the RSPB Garden Birdwatch that will suffer.

No comments: