Thursday, January 10, 2008

TOTP


While having my calorie-conscious lunch of taramasalata and pita bread with a side of Callow Crossing Shiraz Rose, I watched a rerun of Top of the Pops on Channel 12. Damn. The combination of "Without You", all about loss (been there, done that, didn't like it), and Pan's People (never been there, always wanted to - along with a zillion other men from the wicked seventies) was enough to have me sneezing into my napkin.
But, having overcome the tears of nostalgia for lost love and lost youth, I became aware of a serious truth: the music then was musical, melodious, harmonious; the lyrics were comprehensible, meaningful, touching; and the musicians were musicians, well-groomed and they even smiled sometimes.
Daddy Allsop is a lost cause! Fancy drooling over the Supremes! By the way, if you ever fancied licking Diana Ross, now's your chance: Jamaica has just issued a series of stamps...........

No comments: